Weekly postings on Mondays

Monday, May 10, 2010

Adaptability

In his excellent book, The Rise of Evangelicalism, historian Mark Knoll (Wheaton College) portrays the early evangelical movement of 18th century Europe and colonial America as entrepreneurial, adaptable, revivalist, experiential. . . radical.

This in contrast to the “creaking mechanisms” of established state religion.

Knoll observes: “By setting aside earlier religious forms, the evangelicals did not think they were setting aside the faith once delivered, but rather adjusting it to the new social realities of the age” (p149).

I have a feeling I'd have liked these guys: Jonathan Edwards, George Whitefield, John Wesley, Charles Wesley.

Knoll's account of their ministries is quite enlightening, and I'd recommend the book to you.

3 comments:

Charlie Clauss said...

And this is exactly what I have been trying to say in several posts!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like my kind of guys.

Rick Mattson said...

Charlie, your posts are much appreciated!

Peter: You and me, my friend. Not sure what they'd have thought of your favorite subject--multicultural worship.