Weekly postings on Mondays

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Mentor on Race

Twice in the past year I've spoken publicly on the issue of race. Both times I was shaking in my boots.

Why?
  • Fear of offending minority audiences by saying the wrong thing.
  • Fear of offending white evangelicals by calling them out.
  • No expertise. Why listen to me? I'm a dang rookie in racial reconciliation stuff.
I need a mentor. 

Pastor Warren Carey of Tree of Life Church in Minneapolis has agreed to serve me in this way. I'm getting an education, believe me.

The big Question: Do I actually want this education? Deep in the well of my most basic motivations, I'm not sure I do.

But of course that's exactly why I'm meeting with Warren.

He's gracious with me, and patient.

In return, I'm helping Warren. . . at the golf range.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd be curious to hear what mentoring looks like for you on a practical level.

The idea of mentoring is great, and I think it's really beneficial to learn from many people, but I'm never really sure what a formal mentoring relationship should/does look like.

Rick Mattson said...

Richard, I think a lot of it is up to the "mentee" to initiate. I call my mentors and set up appointments, and ask them to teach me their best stuff. Usually we've at least agreed on what the categories are. I ask a lot of questions and take a lot of notes. Then it's "ponder" time as I reflect on what I've learned, and try to implement.