Weekly postings on Mondays

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Character 2: My Word

I married a person who's very precise about keeping her word.

She comes from a family that keeps its word. When they say they'll do something, the "something" will get done. 

"You can use my car that week" means: you actually can.

"I'll call you on Thursday" means: expect a call that day. Really.

I realize some people make promises to save the moment and make everyone feel good. This can result in disappointment down the road. 

Thus, "I'll be there for you" in your divorce or brush with the law or financial hardship or debilitating disease may very well mean nothing.

Idle commitments. Sentimental assurances. These do not impress me, especially when I hear them from my own lips.

Jesus had something to say about this:   


There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work today in the vineyard.’

“‘I will not,’ he answered, but later he changed his mind and went.

“Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, ‘I will, sir,’ but he did not go.

“Which of the two did what his father wanted?”  (Matt 21:28-31)

***

I wish to be a person who keeps his word, perhaps beyond.


p.s. to Sarah: I will edit those docs -- as promised



photo credit http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Galician_vineyard_with_wide_vine_spacing.jpg










No comments: