Weekly postings on Mondays

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Jesus outside the box

These days I am writing my own commentary on the gospel of Mark.

Am I finding fresh meanings in Mark? Writing something never before written?

Not really.

Scholars have been conducting a weighty conversation about the NT for the past 2000 years, and I’m simply joining in the fun. It would be quite dangerous to swerve outside the lines of this tradition.

Despite drawing on professional resources for my study, Jesus cannot be circumscribed. He continues to amaze me, baffle me, and exceed (or contradict) my expectations.

He often doesn’t do what he’s "supposed" to do, which makes me think I'm missing something.

2 comments:

Peter Park said...

How long do you expect this to take?

Rick Mattson said...

Peter, probably another year. I'm not quite to the half-way mark at the moment.