Weekly postings on Mondays

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Marriage Part 5: Choosing to Love


Gary Chapman's five "Love Languages" are these:

  1. Quality Time
  2. Words of Affirmation
  3. Physical Touch
  4. Receiving Gifts
  5. Acts of Service
My wife Sharon's love language is #5, Acts of Service.

But it's not my native language to "speak," so to speak.

I think the Lord has gotten a decades-long chuckle out of this.

In what's known as covenant marriage in the church, my calling is to learn this foreign tongue -- Acts of Service.

I'm terrible at it. 

And I have a great excuse: God didn't make me that way.

Another chuckle from above.

* * *

For the last 20 years I've been trying to learn some new vocabulary words: snow removal, dishes, garbage, shower stall, raking, lawn mower, toilets. 

The idea of serving Sharon on her terms is starting to seep into my soul, now in our 33rd year of marriage. 

With God's help, right practice can change a heart. 

No comments: