Weekly postings on Mondays

Sunday, August 08, 2010

Psalm 130 to the Rescue

As mentioned last week, I've been setting the stopwatch on my cell phone most mornings for thirty minutes of worship and intercession. I wish I could say this comes easily for me, being in the ministry and all, but I can't.

Jim Sire has helped me. With instruction from his fine book, Learning to Pray through the Psalms, I've committed Psalm 130 to memory and often employ its incisive words to guide my prayers:

     Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD;
     O Lord, hear my voice.
        Let your ears be attentive
        to my cry for mercy

The "depths" to which the Psalmist refers are probably his own encompassing sin.

Geesh, I can relate.

Folks, we can "pray" this Psalm along with the ancient poet of 3000 years ago, submitting our faults to the Lord, pleading for his mercy. Will you join me in this prayer?

No comments: