Weekly postings on Mondays

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Character 8: Scary Comfort

Pausing to reflect on the relative comfort and ease of my life, a deathly chill comes over me.

Members of the early church and her Apostles certainly didn't have it so easy. Walk with them through the book of Acts and you're likely to find yourself in danger half the time, peril the other half.

I suppose the disciples could have stayed home and played it safe. They could have used their Christian values and wisdom to carve out a cozy little niche: worldly comfort and salvation to boot -- now that's a great setup.

In my defense, it's not like I play it safe all the time! I don't. I'm not a risk-averse person. But I have to admit, even my supposed risky behavior is calculated to remain within certain parameters.

My Spiritual Director, Wayne Thyren, has challenged me to assume more genuine risks.

"Like, sparring with atheists more?" I asked hopefully.

"No. I mean entering places of true vulnerability where you're not in control of the situation. And learning to trust God there."

"Darn. Why do I visit you?"

"I mean showing your true self, giving away power to others, not grabbing the reins. I mean walking patiently with ordinary people in their pain."

"You know me too well. You're fired," I teased.

******

What's a genuine risk for you?

According to my "former" Spiritual Director, that's precisely the place you'll meet God in a fresh way.


photo credit: http://goo.gl/6d9Qa4





4 comments:

Charlie Clauss said...

Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

kelli said...

love the post and I'm loving the verse Charlie added

Laurie Cross said...

Great post, Rick. We need to get together sometime so we can tell you about "the risk" we're diving into. Our church is starting an extension congregation which is targeting Plymouth residents who aren't going to come to our regular church site. It's meeting at Plymouth Creek Center. Intentionally multi-ethnic, seeking to build relationships with our Somali community, as well as others. Services start at the end of October and we're on the leadership team. Risky. Vulnerable. Feel like a target. God is awesome.

Rick said...

Charlies, nicely stroked.

Kelli, thanks for your comment. You know me better than most.

Laurie, Sounds exciting! And wonderfully frightening :)